Friday, August 28, 2009

Bumblebee Cupcakes Website Finished

I have finally finished the Bumblebee Cupcakes website for my wife. I think everything turned out pretty well. Amy makes such wonderfully delicious cupcakes and I feel this website really showcases them.

If you would like to check out the site, or order some cupcakes, please visit:

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Restoring Ms. Pac Man III

Here is my "finished for now" Ms. Pac Man. As you can see the monitor is coming through strong. The lighter colors are washed out, but it plays with no problem.

Here is the control panel which I removed the old control shelf overlay and repainted the worn out areas. I still need to get a new control shelf overlay which I can't afford yet from
HERE. It cost $39.

Here is the full machine. I glued the top of the marque together so that will stay together until I get a new one. The only thing I have left to do to the outside is sand and paint the coin door and to eventually replace the wood vinyl on the sides.

Restoring Ms. Pac Man II

Here are the pictures of the Ms. Pac Man work in progress. This is the dirty montior which I pulled out, cleaned and installed new capacitors. It has severe burn-in and will have to be replaced eventually, but for now it is running like a champ.

Here is the circuit board pulled out. The connector had some burnt edges which I had to rig to get working. I'll need to buy the repair get to get this thing in proper condition.

This is the cabinet gutted. I cleaned the entire thing and glued the loose joints to make it steady.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Restoring Ms. Pac Man

I finally found the game I've been looking for. I have always wanted a Ms. Pac Man machine and now I have one to work on!

I bought this beauty from Sean on Craigslist for $100. This is a Cabaret (or mini cab) it is not as big as the regular sized arcades. As you can tell, this machine will need a lot of work. I'll probably have to sell the Donkey Kong Jr. machine to fund this project.

Here is a list of the things that need done:
  • Sand and paint all metal parts
  • Clean inside and all boards
  • Replace broken marque on top and the cpo sticker
  • Replace the capacitors on the monitor
  • Replace wood vinyl on the sides
  • Replace Black T-molding
The art on the front with Ms. Pac Man and the 3 ghosts is screen printed on the metal and I can't replace that so it'll have to stay in the condition it is in.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Restoring Donkey Kong Jr. Part II

I finally installed the cap kit for the monitor. The scariest part was having to discharge the monitor before taking it out. You can really shock yourself if you don't know what you are doing. I was really nervous when I was doing it, but it turned out not to be that bad. Below is a picture of the monitor out of the cabinet.

Here is a picture of the monitor board before I replaced the capacitors. As you can see it was pretty dirty. I had never soldered anything before so it was a little nerve racking at first. Amy's dad Tom was here and helped me out by keeping track of all the capacitors and letting me know which ones went where. He was a real life saver!

Once the capacitors were all replaced, I put the monitor back in and flipped the switch. Everything came on with no problem. After a little bit of tweaking I got the image to come out perfect. As you can see the screen is nice and bright and there is no more fold over on the right hand side.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Restoring Donkey Kong Jr.

I Finally purchased an arcade game to restore. I got this beautiful machine at a pawn shop in Hampstead for only $120!

Cosmetically it is in great shape with only a few dings and scrapes. The major issues that it has is with the monitor. There is some fold over on the left side and a wave to the screen. Replacing the capacitors on the monitor's board should help correct this.

Here is a list of things that I have already done:

  • Cleaned the outside and inside of the machine.
  • Cleaned the control panel.
  • Took apart the joystick and cleaned it.
  • Cleaned the monitor.
  • Replaced the instruction card under the control panel overlay.
  • Replaced the light behind the marque.

The control panel overlay was in decent shape although the red was faded out the the title and in Mario's clothes. I will probably replace it at some point in time.

Here is a list of things that I still need to do:

  • Replace monitor caps.
  • Replace T molding.
  • Update power supply.
  • Replace control panel overlay.
  • Replace buttons.
  • Replace missing side art.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Updating Websites

Hi everyone! I am in the process of updating all my websites. I am starting with Amy's cupcake website, Bumblebee Cupcakes. After that I will complete work on my own graphic design website, East Coast Design Rebels. Finally I will update my mother's personal personal training website, No Payne No Gain Simplistic Body Adventures. Below are the links if you would like to check out these sites before their redesigns.